Monday, September 15, 2008

What a wonderful weekend!

Our weekend was sooo busy, but we had a blast!  We arrived in Greenville, SC on Friday evening and got settled in to a wonderful church, Southside Fellowship, which was where we performed Sunday morning.  That night, we met some friends of mine for dinner.  We studied abroad together my junior year of college in Australia, and we became life-long friends!  They live in Georgia and South Carolina, but they all came to Greenville for the weekend so they could see Children of the World.  It meant the world to me...I always miss these girls and love them dearly.  Also, I haven't hung out with any girl friends since July when we left Alabama.  It was something I had not considered beforehand, and it's turned out more difficult than I ever thought it would.  I got to see Sarah, Jenna, and Cara again on Saturday morning- we went and tailgated with them before the Clemson game, and then they came to see the kids perform on Sunday morning.  I was so thankful they came to see us!  (I love you, BIC!  I don't want it to be another year before we all see each other!)

Saturday afternoon, Jay's parents came to see us.  They are the first of our family to meet the kids and see them perform, so this was a very special time.  The visit made us realize even more how much we miss everyone, but we had a great day with an evening stroll and dinner in downtown Greenville.  We loved having them here and we hope they make many more trips out to see us!  After they left, we started going through withdrawal and thought the best remedy would be to spruce up the RV with some family photos to make us smile.  We can't put picture frames out (this is a moving vehicle, remember), but we taped pictures to the front of our cabinets so we can see them all the time.  It reminds me of my old dorm room, but I'd rather have the happy memories and forget about any decorating no-no's!


Sunday was an amazing day for Children of the World!  We can always expect the "Day of Rest" to be our longest and most stressful day of the week, and with four concerts in a 12-hour period, yesterday was no different.  I know that if four concerts are difficult for me, it must be even more so for the kids.  The morning was incredible...three concerts and 125 people who committed to child sponsorships!  The kids were amazingly perky and well-behaved.  I was so proud of them.  

After lunch, we packed up and headed to Gaffney, SC for another concert that night.  I always worry about that last Sunday night concert because it's difficult for the children to understand that even though they've done three performances already, this last one is just as important as the first.  I just pray and pray that they will be alert and keep reminding themselves that what they are doing is so important for children all over the world.  They are very much aware that they are in America for a reason-they are advocates for Christ and for children all over the world just like them.  We had a packed house that night, and were so pressed for time we were unable to do a sound check.  The kids had their best concert to date!  They were all smiles and full of energy.  The church was so receptive-we got 30 more child sponsorships, which is fantastic! 

I have felt like celebrating all day today!  It's just amazing to think that in one day, through God's blessings and people's generosity, more than 150 children will be able to have food, clothing, an education, medicine, a loving caregiver, and most importantly, will hear about the love of Jesus Christ.  Praise the Lord!   

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO!!!! Oh my gosh- Congrats, you guys! What a way to see the Lord working. You all are unbelievable- I can't even stand it. I am so proud to say that I get to be your all's brother and get to brag on the incredible work you are doing. Keep it up! I love being able to watch from back home and think of you often. Miss you and love you SO much!

Love,
Tripper

carag said...

i feel famous!

Donna said...

Wow! I guess all of your struggles are being used to God's glory already! We are so proud of you both. God sure is using you and your precious children in a wonderful way! I CANNOT WAIT TO MEET THEM ALL! We love you and miss you enormously. Mom

Erin said...

I am so glad that everything is going well for you and that people are responding to need of children around the world. I am excited that you got to meet up with old friends, just sad it wasn't me :(
Hope everything continues to go well with your travels and concerts. I'm praying for all of you! Love ya! Erin