Saturday, October 4, 2008

God's Amazing Plan

Most people who grew up in church have Jeremiah 29:11 forever ingrained in their memories.  "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord. 'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"  I have heard this verse my entire life.  I believe in this verse, but I really don't think about it much.

We had a concert tonight at a church in Oklahoma City.  It wasn't any different than any other performance.  It wasn't our best and it wasn't our worst.  It was very well-received.  But tonight, as the children were singing "How Great is Our God," I looked around at their beautiful faces and fully realized exactly how sovereign God is.  I was so acutely aware of God's unending love and His hand guiding my life.    

It was almost exactly two years ago when Jay and I saw Children of the World for the very first time.  Like many who have never seen the children perform, we were unprepared for how powerful the concert really is.  I have never seen or felt anything more convicting in my entire life.  It was as if God had taken a blindfold off of my eyes and I saw the world truly for the first time.  I saw the hurt and the devastation of children's lives.  But most of all, I understood and felt the responsibility of the words Jesus spoke when he said, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for the least of these, you did for Me."  (Matthew 25:34-45)

We introduced ourselves to the team leaders afterward and spent a long time talking with them.  I just kept thinking, "This would be my dream.  I can't think of anything I would want to do more."  I saw God's hand on this ministry.  But Jay had just begun working at the church, and I was working in a marketing job.  It just wasn't the right time.  I had never even worked with children before.

Little did we know, God was preparing us.  I was asked to work with the children's ministry at our church, and that led me to feel so passionate about children, I could no longer ignore God's calling on my life.  I had to become a teacher.  I began teaching at an amazing Christian school and realized how fulfilling it was to know that I was doing what I was meant to do.  

Almost a year and a half after seeing Children of the World perform, God laid their ministry on my heart again.  I couldn't get those children out of my head.  I "confessed" to Jay that I wanted to contact World Help, and we agreed that I would email them.  The next day, we heard back from them saying that they had just begun taking applications for the next COTW tour.  But through the months of interviews and waiting and praying, I didn't want to hope too much.  I was so scared of what was to come, and of being let down.  

Looking back now, I see how God prepared our hearts for this ministry.  If I hadn't been asked to help with the children's ministry, I never would have felt called to become a teacher.  If Providence Christian School hadn't taken a chance on me and allowed me to teach, there's no way I would have felt capable of handling a job like this.  

Even when we can't see through the fog, God prepares the path for us to walk.  Two years ago, I would never have imagined that pipe dream of mine would come true.  I remember leaving the concert with Jay, walking hand in hand and telling him, "I have to do that.  That job was meant for me," but thinking the whole time, "It will never happen.  They are leaving and that will be the end of it."  

God's plan for my future is so much more than my expectations.  I only hope and pray that He will continue surprising me with twists and turns that I could never imagine.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So proud of you guys! We miss yall so much. Call me sometime if you get a chance. We love yall!

Monica