Sunday, January 11, 2009

Build-a-Bear, Build-a-Best Friend


If you've never been to this store, it is a real experience.  It is a seven-step process before the completion of the bear!  When it was our turn, each child would stand at this stuffing machine and watch their animal come to life.  Then the Build-a Bear helper would say to kiss a little red satin heart, make a wish, and then put the heart in the bear.  As you can imagine, my kids ate this up.  They would hold that heart tight to their chest, close their little eyes, and pray for a good twenty seconds before giving up that heart.  Everyone was so deliberate about making sure they did it right (except Isaac, who looked at the woman like she had just lost all her marbles).

After the bears were all sewn up and ready to go, the kids get to go "clean" them under a shower station where they can wash them off underneath a stream of cold air.  Let me tell you, our bears are the cleanest ones around.  The kids "washed" them everywhere and then brushed them down.  After they were thoroughly cleaned, we moved on to the final touch...choosing the perfect outfit!  The girls, of course, gravitated toward anything pink and sequined, while the boys chose military men and soccer players.  Like typical girls, they thought they needed their bears to try on every outfit to see what was the most flattering (which I don't think we were supposed to do...oops!).  I thought we were going to be in there for days.  When their animals were primped, Jay helped the kids print out the birth certificates (after another thorough washing of course...the clothes needed to be clean too!) to make it official.  

I have never seen anything like it.  They were so enthralled with the whole process, and are still completely in love with their animals even weeks afterward.  As I type this, there is a bear in a sailor suit buckled into one of the front seats of the bus (safety first!).  If we have to leave the animals in the bus, the kids say goodnight to them and put them down for a nap.  I will never forget that trip to the mall.  It was the best money we've ever spent!


Isaac getting his bear stuffed:


With our new best friends:



Did you spot the moose in the wedding dress???

2 comments:

MDearing said...

What happy little people! We have never been to Build a Bear-am I neglecting my children? After reading your post, I think I am!

Nikki said...

I love keeping up with you guys through your blog! The kids look so good and I miss them all so much! I love the moose in the wedding dress and Yeshoda's moose is looking pretty sassy too. I love Build a Bear! Great place. we took our kids durring our tour and after a few days we told the kids we had to throw away the boxes that the bears come in beacause there wasnt enought room on the bus. They were so upset just to loose the boxes.