Friday, May 20, 2011

Asian Lettuce Wraps


I would rather have Asian, Mexican, or Italian over boring, old American food any day of the week. Asian is probably my favorite (this does not include Chinese buffets, much to my husband's dismay). I could eat it every day. So when I found this recipe for Asian Lettuce Wraps, I was hoping they would at least be similar to P.F. Changs. They didn't disappoint! Jay and I love these so much, we fight for the leftovers the next day. This is an easy, fast, low-carb, one-dish meal. If you don't have some of these Asian ingredients, you can find them on the international food aisle and you can use them again and again for other Asian recipes! Enjoy!

Asian Lettuce Wraps

Bibb/Butter lettuce (Iceberg will work in a pinch)
1 lb. ground meat (chicken or turkey is best- and cheapest!)
2 t. dark sesame oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 T. soy sauce
2 t. minced pickled ginger
1 T. rice wine vinegar
1 8-oz. can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 t. chile pepper sauce (careful, it's hot!)

Brown meat in medium skillet. Drain and set aside. Cook onion in the same pan until soft. Add all other ingredients except green onions, stirring to combine. Simmer 10-15 minutes, add green onions last. Serve in a large bowl alongside the Bibb lettuce, spooning the mixture into the lettuce cups as you eat. YUM!

8 comments:

Sarah and Ryan said...

Yummy! The lettuce wraps at Changs are my favorite!! I will have to try to make these! Thanks for posting!

Blissfully Burton said...

Hey! I like your blog! I didn't know you were blogging! Hope Mommyhood is treating you well. :)

I've made these before and they are just as good as PF Changs for sure!!

Megan @ www.theburtonsspot.blogspot.com

*Kelly* said...

Those look amazing!

I like unusual spices and anything international but my family is all about "plain american". i am trying to expand their palates.

Definitly going to try those!!

Katie said...

Those sound yummy and really easy!
I really have to try them!

Danielle Wade said...

Mmmmmm that looks amazing!! I am so making these :) Thanks for the recipe!

V-n-J said...

I'm with you ... we love food with flavour! Changs is our fave and the lettuce wraps are a must so will be trying this out. Thanks for sharing.

ps followed your link from Kellys Korner:)

Marisa said...

Yum!! Can't wait to try this recipe! Visiting from Kelly's Korner, and glad I came over-- cute blog!!

Dara Marie said...

Thanks for the recipe Taylor! I can't wait to try it! Miss you...coming to KY anytime soon?