Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Summer Reading, Part 1

Ever since I was knee-high, I have LOVED to read. One of the best gifts I ever received growing up was a membership to a book club that sent me new children's books each month. When I was about nine, my best friend became the proud owner of the entire series of Babysitter's Club books. I cannot remember ever being more envious! Bookstores were heaven on earth for me. Every six months or so, my mom took my brother and me on "Kids' Shopping Day," which meant The Nature Store for him and Hawley-Cooke bookstore for me. Choosing just one or two to take home was pure torture! Today, I still read about one book each week. Yes, even with the baby (I squeeze it in when he goes to bed for the night). I mostly stick to fiction, and since I am always looking for new reads, I will recommend some of mine.

"Love Walked In" and "You Belong to Me," by Marisa de los Santos
I think I just stumbled upon these books because of their pretty covers, but they are two of my absolute favorites. I am mad the author hasn't written more yet! Her writing, particularly her word-usage, is absolutely beautiful. I fell in love with her characters. And this is one time where the sequel is just as good as the original! I've also just read that "Love Walked In" is being made into a movie... don't know how it could be as good though!







"The Kite Runner" and "A Thousand Splendid Suns," by Khaled Hosseini
These books have been around a while, but if you didn't read them when they were first popular, find them now! I'm always drawn to stories about other cultures, and these books about life in the Middle East are captivating and heart-wrenching at the same time. They are not light reading by any means, but they are absolutely fascinating.








"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society," by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Again, this book written beautifully. The entire book is a series of letters written back and forth between a woman and the people who live on the island of Guernsey, off the coast of England. All the characters become so vivid since each section is written in first person.







"The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" series, by Ann Brashares
Yes, these books were written for teenagers and the movies are not classics by any means, but the entire series are so much fun! Don't make fun of me until you try them. :) My mom and I both devoured all four books. They are GREAT summer reads, and very easy to get into.







 
More must-reads coming soon (including some non-fiction)! I would LOVE to hear some of your recommendations, so leave a comment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so upset that OUTLANDER is not on your list!!!

:)

Shanny

pamk said...

Hi! Just came over from Kelly's after reading your appetizer recipe. I'm reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" right now. Love it, it's hard to put down! Another one that's hard to put down is "The Help", which is also coming out in a movie in August. Of course the fact that I'm old enough to remember the 60's when these black maids were being discriminated against makes it all the more interesting to me, but I'd read so many recommendations of it on blogs that I finally picked it up and loved it. If you haven't read any Karen Kingsbury, she is not to be missed. Look for the Baxter Family series, starting with "Redemption". Then there are about 20 books that follow in 5-6 series that go on with the same characters. Love them! Look here to find them:
http://www.karenkingsbury.com/books/books-by-series