Wednesday, June 8, 2011

3:23

A couple of weeks ago, I was reading my Bible and a verse that I've read about a hundred times suddenly stuck out to me. (Isn't it amazing that the Word is LIVING and is fresh every time???) 

Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men."

After reading this, I sat wondering, "Am I really doing my work 'heartily'??"  I think this verse can apply in so many areas of my life.  The most obvious is that I am a stay-at-home mom.  It's easy to get slack when it's just Jonah and me at home by ourselves every day.  I take pride in our house, but there are certain jobs I HATE doing (folding laundry and sweeping floors are the death of me).  Housework becomes monotonous VERY quickly.  And it doesn't help that Jay probably wouldn't notice if I just stopped doing housework for a month!

When I am procrastinating or wishing a certain chore would just go away, I remind myself that this is my work.  And if I am devoting my work to the Lord, I want Him to be pleased.  Yes, I want to please Jay, but pleasing God is even more important (and a greater motivator).  This verse also applies in our marriage relationship, in my role as a pastor's wife, and in my responsibility as a parent.  Several times a day I find myself saying, "Am I cleaning this bathroom/dusting/picking up the BEST that I can?"  "Am I showing Jonah the love that God would want me to show him?"  "Did my words glorify God in that conversation with so-and-so?"  "Did I put Jay's wants above my own?"  I am trying to find joy in striving to please God and my husband by taking pride in this new life of mine. There will always be obstacles to overcome and sacrifices I will have to make, but this verse has given me a little jolt of motivation to consider my motives and my heart.  I pray I will challenge myself to "work heartily, as for the Lord."

2 comments:

Amy said...

I needed this reminder today... and i am sure I will need it again tomorrow and the next day and the next day. I struggle with this so much and I want to do so much better! Praying that you would continue to bring glory to Him in every single thing you do!

Heather said...

“So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God” 1 Corinthians 10:31

This post reminded me of this verse. Sometimes I feel like I'm just floating through space and time when I should be striving to glorify God in ALL my actions. Thank you for the reminder!