Friday, July 1, 2011

Firsts on July 1st

Jonah turned six months old this week!  I cannot believe how fast it has gone by.  Today especially, I realized how big he is getting... he sat up by himself today and drank from a sippy cup for the first time!  We propped him up and he put his little arms out and used them to balance.  He just grinned and looked around like, "Look what I can do, Mom!"  And then I started crying.  Ha ha!  I should back up a little bit and explain that Jonah and I are visiting my family in Kentucky for a few weeks and we are having a great time, but I was so upset that Jay missed this milestone!  We will see Jay in about a week and a half and by then, Jonah will have perfected his new trick for his daddy.  We miss him soooo much!

Jonah is so much fun right now!  He has his daddy's laid-back personality still, and he is a very content baby.  In the past two weeks, he's started putting anything and everything in his mouth.  I'd been expecting him to start doing this for a couple of months now, but I think he is starting to teethe now and needs that comfort for his gums.  Jonah LOVES people.  He is content to stare at our faces for long periods of time, and he often reaches out to touch and inspect for himself.  It is precious!  He's also just discovered his toes.  He doesn't put them in his mouth, he just kind of holds on to them a lot in the stroller and carseat.  Also, he almost always crosses his feet at the ankles, which just cracks me up. 

He is definitely getting spoiled here in Kentucky!  He is being passed around all the time and we are running around visiting friends and family every day.  He's been a real trooper!  One of his favorite activities since we've been here is taking an evening golf cart ride.  He holds out his arms and squeals and laughs the whole time.  He's started grabbing the steering wheel now too! 

We've really been trying to stick to our schedule as much as possible, but it isn't always easy.  The biggest difficulty we've run in to is that Jonah has started waking up a few times during the night.  Most of the time I just go in after a while and comfort him, and I'll usually feed him once.  But this Mommy is getting EXHAUSTED!  It's been going on too long to be a growth spurt, and I've tried dropping his third nap but he gets so cranky and it doesn't seem to make a difference.  Any tips, Moms??

Jonah has officially been on a four-hour schedule for about a month now! I noticed he didn't seem to want/need to eat every three hours anymore, so I just tried to delay his feedings one day, and he had no problem! It's amazing how much difference just that one hour makes. A typical day: wake up at 8:30, nurse, eat cereal, play, nap around 9:45, wake up around 12:00, nurse at 12:30, play/run errands, nap at 2:00 or so, wake up around 4:15, nurse at 4:30, eat cereal, short nap from 6:30-7:00, hang out with the family/bath, nurse at 8:15, bed at 8:30 (and then wake up for no reason about 55 times during the night- ha ha!). My most precious times of day are getting Jonah up in the morning or getting him up from a nap. He is always just overjoyed to see me (or whoever else gets him)- it is the BEST feeling in the world! Lord, thank You for Your amazing grace through these blessings!

Showing us how he can sit up!


My big boy drinking from a cup!

Had to sneak this one in there- my good-lookin' husband!

Enjoying the golf cart

Good times with family and friends

Crossing those ankles!

4 comments:

Heather said...

OH MY GOSH GO JONAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! He's growing up! Such a big boy. Come home soooooon before you are bigger than me!

Amy said...

Way to go Jonah! You are getting TOO big TOO fast!!!! Now stop all that growing up nonsense ;-)

Glad you are having such a great time in Kentucky. I have to laugh at your schedule because.... it is basically identical to Lula Mae and Jayce's! haha! Sooo basically I think it is great ;-) I would say that while he is really fussy missing that 3rd nap, it is definitely time. Unless it is a 10 or 15 min nap in the car or something, he really should be able to drop it by now. It's not a fun one to wean, but it helps the night out a lot. What time is he going down at night? Was it in the post.... if it was I totally missed it. lol

When you get home it will be easier to get his nights back on track. Hate to say it, but it will take a bit of tough love to get him there. I know you can do it though. Mommy can't go around exhausted all the time!

Oh Dear said...

My babies never slept well away from home. They woke in unfamiliar surroundings, room temperature or whatever. One think I read is that when babies are passed often (as with visiting family) they tense their little muscles up each time. It makes their little bodies sore and they do not rest as well at night. Now, I have no idea if this is the case, or even if it is true with big boy Jonah, but I did notice the link in my babies.

He is precious! I am glad Gigi will get her fill of him!

Monica of Grace for Today said...

Such sweet pictures! Jonah is too cute for words!!! Also, we did drop Jackson's third nap around 6 months. We just moved his bedtime up for a few weeks until he was used to the nap being dropped. Does that make sense? Anyway, love you friend! You are a GREAT mom!