Friday, July 29, 2011

Summer Reading, Part 2

Back for a few more book recommendations!

Garden Spells, by Sarah Addison Allen- All of this author's books could best be described as "whimsical."  They are light but still different enough to be intriguing and keep my interest.  I have since read her other books (The Girl Who Chased the Moon and The Sugar Queen) and enjoyed those too, but this one is definitely the best!  It looks like she has a new one out called The Peach Keeper.  I will be checking this one out soon!

Still Alice, by Lisa Genova- By far, this is one of the most compelling books I have ever read.  It is the story of a Alice, a fifty-year-old woman's sudden descent into early onset Alzheimer's disease.  Honestly, I never would have read this if my mom hadn't recommended it.  I was sucked in from the beginning.  The story is told directly from Alice's point of view, and the nuances into her mind gave me such a different perspective into a disease I had never really thought much about.  A must-read for sure!





Morning Glory, by LaVyrle Spencer- Secret confession time: growing up in the Hampton house, LaVyrle Spence was a household name.  As in, we were on a first-name basis.  As in, "Hey, what did you do with my LaVyrle?"  Or, "I left my LaVyrle upstairs. Could you run up and get it?" Or, "Oh no!  This is LaVyrle's last book... what are we going to read now???"  Yes, it is sad.  And yes, if you had to classify her books into a genre, they could only be put into the romance category.  (And the "classics" category- ha ha!)  But seriously, several of her books are some of the sweetest stories I have ever read, and not like those books with half-naked people on the cover or anything.  My mom and I have read Morning Glory probably ten and four times, respectively (or not respectively, for those of you who think that's pathetic).  It gets me every time.  Other "classics" by LaVyrle: Vows (my second fave), Then Came Heaven (I'm going to have to read this again just thinking about it!), and Years (oh my goodness, I want to cry just remembering it).
I have actually never seen it with this cover... it must be a re-release since the cover I remember looks much more like this: 

Ha ha!  Classic 80's!

Give them a read and let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Donna said...

Lavyrle! My biggest guilty pleasure in print!!!

Heather said...

LOVE LAVYRLE!!!

Bright & Beautiful Learning Center said...

Taylor, I'm so glad you are promoting READING FOR FUN. I find myself reading more often to "find out something" (get information). Not a bad thing ~ just more relaxing to read for fun :) I need to take more time away to do this! ~B