Friday, September 16, 2011

A Random Smorgasbord

I know my blogging has been sporadic at best!  So this is for my friend, Heather, who assures me that I really do have thoughts worth sharing with the world.  My day-to-day life as a SAHM is pretty quiet and routine, and nothing super exciting has happened around here lately, but my little boy really is worth talking about so I will use him as a catalyst for other random musings.
1. Yesterday, I went to put pajamas on Jonah and realized they were all dirty (I have since done laundry).  The only ones I had were size 18 months, but I thought they would be okay just for a little while.  I put them on him and, lo and behold, THEY FIT.  I couldn't believe it (he's only 8 1/2 months old!)!  Then this morning I went to put shoes on his feet for the first time in months and no matter what I did, I couldn't stuff his feet in there.  The shoes were a size 4.  I don't know much about toddler boy shoes, but shouldn't those be big enough?  I'm not ready for him to be this big!

2. I went to a couponing workshop in August and have since re-entered the magical and frustrating world of couponing.  I feel like my goal is to attack and conquer CVS every Sunday.  It is so strategic for me that when I approach the register and get $1347 worth of merchandise for $.07 (slight exaggeration), I feel like I am cheating the system and might get in trouble!  Grocery store coupons are more tedious and have become the bane of my existence.  I am still working on conquering that arena.  Jay is happy that I'm at least attempting this!

3. Today is the first day in Greenwood that I've had to wear close-toed shoes in about 5 months.  Everyone's facebook statuses talk about jumping for joy over boots, pumpkin spice anything, apples, and leaves.  I LOVE SUMMER and I always will.  I get so sad just thinking about the warm weather ending.  I even love the stifling heat.  Summer clothes are so much easier for me than winter.  I had to give myself a pep talk just to get dressed this morning in three-quarter length sleeves and boots.  I'M NOT READY.  And for the record, I don't like pumpkin or spiced anything.  Am I the only one in this boat???

4. My parents are coming here in 2 weeks.  I CAN'T WAIT.  Even after five years of living away far, far away, I am not used to it.  Having Jonah really has made it more difficult to be away from them.  A friend of mine once said that she thought that my family was "obsessed with each other," which she meant as a compliment and I chose to see it that way as well.  We love each other and they are all pretty nuts (Do you like how I switched from "we" to "they" in that statement?  I am definitely the most "normal" and they would all agree.) so I think "obsessed" is a pretty good description.  Plus, my mom in particular is more than obsessed with Jonah.

5. My sweet boy has started to love two of my favorite things: cuddling and reading.  He's always been cuddly to a certain point, but now he buries his face in my neck several times a day and just stays for a little while.  And now we read together in his room a couple of times a day.  He will hold both sides of the book just like he's reading it himself and smiles at the pages (and licks them, of course).  He definitely has favorite books, which is fun for me to see.

Please don't give up on me yet!  I promise I'll be back again soon.

P.S.  Our little giant still won't crawl and shows no interest in moving anywhere.  We have bribed him with toys/food/Mommy/Daddy out of his reach, but he does not care in the least.  Any tips for us?  We sometimes stand him up and let him hold on to the couch/coffee table/chair by himself and he'll stand there as long as we let him with no problem, but no crawling to be seen!

3 comments:

Sarah and Ryan said...

Yay! Glad to have you back in the blogging world! Don't worry about Jonah not crawling. He will do it on his own time! It is completely fine and normal for him to not crawl yet. Every baby is different and will do it on their own. For now, enjoy that he is not crawling anywhere! (I'm always a little sad when they start crawling because then they know they can get places on their own, and they try to squirm out of your arms!) :-) So glad your parents are coming for a visit soon! I'm like you in the fact that I am "obsessed" with my family and love being around them! When we lived in NC I would get so sad when I was the only one not at a birthday celebration or family dinner, etc. I can only imagine how hard it is with a child!

I can't believe you aren't a lover of the pumpkin spice latte! Sorry, but I am so glad to see the crazy heat and humidity go out the door!! I'm not ready for winter, but I'll gladly accept fall knocking at my door! Great post! Glad your friend Heather bugged you enough to write one!

Donna said...

See? You DO have some interesting things to share! Although I don't understand the thing about our family being obsessed with each other. I believe I have only talked with you ONCE today. So there!

Amy said...

I am not a fan of pumpkin spice anything. It really is not even a good smell to me. Can't say I am not ready for winter though. I like to cover up and snuggle :-)

So excited for your parents to come! You will all have a great visit I'm sure.

Did I not mention that Lula Mae did not crawl until she was around 12 months????? She has zero interest. They seem a lot a like actually. Very reserved and happy. He may walk without crawling, you never know!